Monday, January 26, 2015

Where My Trust is Without Borders


One of my all time favorite worship song is "Oceans" by Hillsong. While it's no surprise that I love this song (I pretty much long everything that comes out of Hillsong... well probably just Australia in general...) my attachment to this musical piece goes deeper than aptly perfected chord progressions and gorgeous harmonies. This past year has brought about a lot of change in my life. Some good, some bad. Through it all, though, this song has really stuck out to me and I kind of, at the risk of sounding cheesy, used it as my "anthem" for my freshman year at college.

I remember one of my last Sundays at my home church and the worship team started playing that song, "Oceans." I had sung it a thousand times and while I had loved it every time, it had never felt as real to me as it did in that moment. As the worship leader sang "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders..." I lifted my hands ready to embrace the build of the song that I loved so dearly, but then, as if in shock, my hands fell to my side. I had always been a strong believer in understanding and being fully prepared to do exactly what I had proclaimed during a spirit-filled worship service. Sure, we may belt out "I will pursue you" at the top of lungs with hands held high, but are we actually prepared to pursue God with all that we are? Anyways, I sat there declaring to God that I wanted his Spirit to lead me where my trust was without borders, asking him to let me walk upon the waters wherever He called me, yet was I really prepared for that to happen?

In the following weeks I learned I wasn't completely prepared and I didn't fully understand, but I was ready for it. These past few months have meant trials, hardships, tears of sadness, tears of joy, heartache, pain, rejoicing, and so much more, through it all, though, I kept declaring that God would lead me where my trust was without borders. That I would become fully and completely dependant upon Him. I'm not going to sit here and say it was easy, or it will be easy, but there is an undeneying, wonderful fulfillment in knowing that God has got us no matter what circumstances we face.

So, my dear readers, I challenge you, pull out your iPhone, open up YouTube and blast this song with hands held high. I'm warning you, though, when you put your trust fully and completely in God, crazy things are going to start happening. Good, crazy things.