Monday, February 23, 2015

Blogging 101: Facebook



Facebook is probably my least favorite form of social media yet it was the first account that I created and I still keep posting to my page. Why? I'm so glad you asked!

Facebook was one of the "forerunners" of mainstream social media. Since then, there have been countless others. When Facebook was launched, its primary purpose was to connect people with other people. Therefore, it is assumed that if you want to "connect" other people with your blog, you should use Facebook. This is, however, incorrect.

If I've learned anything since starting my blog it is that blogging is all about giving. While some have found "cyberspace fame" through a post-gone-viral most have had to work their way to success. And that work is done mostly in the form of connecting with other bloggers. For some reason people are less likely to follow your blog's Facebook page than they are to follow you on Twitter, Pinterest, etc.

Now that might seem like too simple of an answer but I have found it to be true. Now, why should you create/keep using Facebook if it's hard to drive followers your way? Great question. Because Facebook was one of the first forms of social media, it has become the most widely used. As far as demographics represented, Facebook has a LARGE potential followers just waiting for you to reach.

So, it's hard to get Facebook followers BUT there is a huge potential. So what should you be doing with Facebook? Here are a few things to get you started.

1. Join Groups: One of the greatest resources for a blogger on Facebook is the unlimited amount of blogging groups on Facebook. These groups are a great way to gain some support, get blogging tips, and network.

2. Advertising: I haven't used Facebook advertising, I'm not sure if I ever will, but it's great to know that it's there and should I ever have the budget to advertise on Facebook, I think it would be a great opportunity.

3. Get Your Name Out There: Even if you don't have a large number of followers, it's always good to give your readers the option to follow you, whether they do or not is up to them, but at least it's available.

Now these tips might seem surface level, but they're a great place to start! I hope that this helps you understand and get pumped about the potential that Facebook has! Just remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your blogging dynasty. Be patient, remember why you love blogging, and embrace this "quiet" time you have with blogging. Before you know it you'll have a thousand follower!

Happy Blogging!!