Saturday, April 25, 2015

Blogging 101: Do It For The Instagram


I've been using Instagram for my own personal use for a while now. I love posting "artsy" photos and seeing my friend's trendy squares. When I thought about using Instagram for blogging purposes, though, I really didn't know where to start.

So I decided to start at Pinterest. I've mentioned it before but Pinterest is one of the best places to find advice on all things blogging. Including how to use Instagram to grow your blog. So I read up on who to follow, what to post, what times to post, how often, how much, etc. And let me tell you, I've learned a lot. I still have a long way to go {I think my Instagram following is at a whole whopping 10 people} but I know that with time and penitence {as everything in the blogging world seems to require} I'll get there. So here are a few pieces of advice I've gathered over these past few months.

1. First comes your profile photo then comes your bio. Your profile photo is really important. It's the first thing everyone sees when click on your profile. The second most important thing is your bio. A bio says a lot about a person. Are you funny? Witty? Sarcastic? A little nerdy? What do you do? Why should someone follow you? My favorite bios are ones where I can get a sense for a person's unique personality. So don't be afraid to be yourself, that's the best thing you can do. Also, always include your website/blog link in your bio. Here are some of my favorite Instagram bios...

Emily Ley\\ "Designer, wife & mama to three sweet littles. Creator of the @SimplifiedPlanner & #ELBabyBook. emilyley.com"

Glitter Guide\\ "Flashes of (de)light | lifestyle website dedicated to inspiring you to shine bright. | Share your #flashesofdelight with us #GlitterGuidexThimblepress www.theglitterguide.com"

Lauren Elizabeth\\ "small biz owner (@elisabethashlie) || life + style blogger || cat lady www.thelaurenelizabeth.com"

2. Take Good Photos. This might seem extra simplified but it's the honest-to-goodness-truth. While I really like taking photos on my phone sometimes it helps when I take them with my Nikon, brighten them up in photoshop and then post them. Sure, it takes more time but those are the photos that I really love and they also get more likes. I also really enjoy getting photo inspiration from gramers {in other words, follow some really beautiful people with really beautiful instaprofiles}. Check out this link to see a great list of accounts to follow {click here}

3. Don't just promote your blog posts. This is the rut that I tend to get stuck in. It's so easy to just go down the line through your social media accounts and upload blog related content. The reason that people are following you {especially on Instagram} is because they want to get to know YOU! Sure, they want your post updates, but they mostly just want to see what a day in the life of {insert your name here} is like.

4. Don't feel obligated to follow back. This is a "debated" topic in the blog world. I know some bloggers that guarantee "follow-backs" and I know others that only follow 5 of their closest friends. For me, if someone follows me and I think I'd enjoy getting their updates, I follow them. If they blog about completely different topics than me or I don't connect with them, I don't follow them. The main point is that you don't simply follow someone to follow them. Remember the point above about getting post inspiration. You can't be "inspired" from people who aren't posting "inspiring" things.

5.Whiteagram. One word, one great app {it's available for IOS and Android} I really like using this app for all of my photos but I know some people just pick and choose. It really makes your feed look "hipster" {even if you're like me and you really aren't...}

Do you have any good Instagram tips? Share them in the comment section below!!

For more Instagram Tips, follow my ||Blogging for Instagram|| board on Pinterest {click here}

Follow ME on Instagram @touchofclassblg